Pure Connect Music Service Goes Live in the U.S.
Labels and retailers get behind integrated music service and wireless multiroom system with unparalleled synchronization technology
SAN FRANCISCO – October 24th, 2013 – Pure announces that its Pure Connect (1) on-demand music service is now available in the U.S. This launch, in combination with Jongo (a fully integrated music service and multiroom speaker system) has support from independent and major music labels – including Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group - and will be available through U.S. retailers, including Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon with more to follow.
Pure Connect has been designed to work seamlessly with Pure’s Jongo multiroom music system and uniquely offers users free access to live and on-demand radio content; as well as their own music collection and a subscription music service enabling millions of tracks to be streamed throughout their home with the option to listen offline. Jongo is the first multiroom system to deliver the sync performance and quality of a wired system in a wireless setting, and is a superior technological solution compared to others on the market today.(2)
Pure has developed Jongo to be a truly multi-platform system to cater for the increase in smartphone and tablet ownership. The majority of Americans (56 percent) now own a smartphone and 34 percent of American adults also own a tablet. (3) Jongo can be controlled via both iOS and Android smartphones and tablets while Pure Connect can be enjoyed through these devices and PCs making the system incredibly flexible and accessible to the mainstream.
“More than half of U.S. consumers surveyed indicated they would be likely to buy a product like Jongo and engage with streaming digital music, but currently Internet radio and on demand music services represent a relatively small proportion of total U.S. radio listening (4),” said Nick Hucker, director of marketing, Pure. “This leaves a huge audience who want to try streaming but haven’t found the right product or service. We’ve developed Jongo and Pure Connect to work seamlessly together to cater for this mainstream audience and the way people want to listen to music now.”
The Next Wave in Consumer Audio
Audio has been a key consumer category in recent years with first the boom in iPod docking systems and then the recent explosion in Bluetooth speakers and premium headphones for casual listening. Wi-Fi multiroom speakers, which are suited for a more immersive and connected listening experience, are poised to be the ‘next big thing’ in consumer audio and will represent a growing part of the wireless speaker market, which will eclipse the speaker dock market. By 2017 the global market for wireless speakers is expected to reach 18.5m units, compared to a speaker dock market of 16.7m units by this time.(5)
“Digital music consumption is at a tipping point and mainstream consumers are starting to embrace streaming,” continued Nick Hucker. “These music fans are looking for an effortless way to stream their music collection and Pure has addressed this in a way that no one else has so far. Pure Connect and Jongo integrates live radio (which is consumed by over 240 million adults in the U.S and the single greatest way for consumers to discover new music), millions of streamable tracks, and your own digital music collection, which is significant as digital files have now surpassed the CD, Vinyl or Cassette combined as a more common means of listening to audio. (6) The integration of all this content with Pure’s Jongo multiroom speaker system adds up to the killer combination that consumers need to propel them into the wireless streaming age.”
Pure Connect & Jongo
Pure Connect transforms smartphones and tablets into the ultimate remote control for Pure’s Jongo multiroom speaker system allowing users to listen to beautifully synchronized audio throughout the home. Jongo multiroom speakers benefit from Pure’s excellence in audio, streaming and synchronization technology making Jongo one of the most advanced multiroom speaker systems available.
The family consists of the Jongo A2 wireless hi-fi adapter; Jongo S3 rechargeable, portable wireless speaker; Jongo T2 and Jongo T6 wireless multiroom speakers. Currently, one of the only systems to offer both wireless multiroom and casual Bluetooth streaming, Jongo offers users the best of both worlds and a truly immersive experience. Users can simply add extra Jongo speakers or adapters on the same Wi-Fi network to build their multiroom system.
The Jongo multiroom speaker system is available now in approximately 2,800 Walmart stores and on Walmart.com, in addition to more than 300 Best Buy locations and can be ordered now online at Amazon.com. Please visit www.pure.com and www.pureconnect.com for more information.
(1) Pure Connect transforms smartphones or tablets into the ultimate Jongo remote control. The app is available on iOS and Android and is free to download. There are three services to choose from:
Pure Connect Green (free forever)
- Ideal for radio, music, sports and news fans; tune into live radio, catch-up with on-demand programs, save favorites and play all the music stored on your device
- Over 20,000 radio stations
- More than 200,000 on-demand podcasts and programs
Pure Connect Blue ($4.99 a month – introductory offer available to Pure device owners)
- Unlimited streaming of millions of tracks on top of your own music and lets you discover new artists and create playlists
Pure Connect Violet (free for a month and then $9.99 a month)
- Take your music wherever you go: online and off. One app-tap downloads your playlists so you can listen wherever you are. Perfect for when you’re not connected to Wi-Fi – like driving in the car.
Users can also listen to their music subscription playlists through Pure’s wide range of internet-connected products, online at www.pureconnect.com and via their iOS or Android smartphone or tablet. Visit www.pureconnect.com to find out more.
(2) Caskeid, a technology developed by Pure’s parent company Imagination Technologies, is one of the world’s most accurately synchronized wireless multiroom connected audio streaming technologies. The unique software technology within Caskeid delivers outstanding audiophile-quality stereo playback with less than 50µS delay; a true ‘Wi-Fi Hi-Fi’ that is good enough to replace wires, satisfying even the most demanding audiophile.
(3) Statistics pulled from Pew Internet Research Center mobile technology report, May 2013. http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Smartphone-Ownership-2013.aspx
(4) 57 percent of US consumers said they were ready to buy a product like Jongo. The study, carried out by Pure and AudienceNet (AudienceNet is a fully accredited market research agency which uses state-of-the-art technology to derive significant consumer insights. It creates, builds and manages bespoke online communities which are wholly reflective of any given audience, target market or geographical community), polled a statistically and demographically representative sample of over 5000 respondents from the UK, Germany, France, Italy and North America. Results clearly show a high demand for both Bluetooth and wireless multiroom speakers.
Cowen analyst John Blackledge forecast total web-radio listening hours to rise to 19 percent of total U.S. listening hours by fiscal 2019 from 10 percent in fiscal 2014. Internet radio listening hours have climbed about 2 percentage points in the past two years, according to Cowen. - CNBC, Wednesday, 26 Jun 2013 http://www.cnbc.com/id/100846421
(5) Futuresource Consulting
(6) 243 Million US Adults Listen to Radio Each Week - Abratron (Spring 2013)
19 percent of US consumers claim to discover new music from hearing a song on the radio or from a DJ recommending it – AudienceNet
40 percent of US consumers claim to consumer audio via digital files versus 38 percent who consume audio via CDs, cassettes or vinyl - AudienceNet
Pure is a world leading consumer electronics manufacturer and leads the way in music streaming and radio systems and entertainment cloud services with the Pure Connect portal www.pureconnect.com as well as innovating in new areas such as the TV set top box market. Designed and engineered in the UK, all of Pure’s products are manufactured with the environment in mind and at ethically audited facilities. Pure is a division of Imagination Technologies Group plc. See www.pure.com.
US Press Contact UK Press Contact
Melanie Lombardi Vicky Hewlett
LEWIS PR for Pure Pure
415 432 2421 +44 (0)1923 260 511