An internet radio allows you to receive and listen to an unlimited number of online radio programmes.
Most often, internet radio devices do not look any different from traditional radios, however, they come with a multitude of advantages such as the option to access thousands of stations. Wi-Fi is necessary in order to connect to internet radio.
This is why this type of radio is often referred to as either WLAN radio or Wi-Fi radio.
DAB and DAB+ radio - what’s behind it?
DAB+ digital radios have been developed in Europe since the late 1980s and introduced from the early 90s. They transmit radio signals digitally, which leads to better sound quality.
DAB respectively DAB+ (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radios have several advantages when compared to traditional FM (Frequency Modulation) radios:
- DAB radios offer a diverse programme as they provide access to more radio stations (radio programmes).
- DAB radios are less prone to failure and disturbances while they come with less static noise than FM radios.
- DAB or DAB+ (DAB Plus) radios offer more options for interaction as they can receive text, images or even videos in addition to sound.
- Another important DAB+ feature is an increasingly efficient use of available frequencies. Thanks to data compression technologies, different radio stations can be transmitted via a single frequency, thus reducing the number of necessary frequencies and optimising their use.
Disadvantages of FM compared to DAB+ radios
FM radios and DAB+ radios are both technologies used to transmit radio programmes. FM radio technology is older and has several disadvantages compared to DAB+.
One of the disadvantages of FM radios is its signal quality, which can be lower, especially inside a building or a vehicle. This can lead to static noise or loss of reception.
Another disadvantage of FM radios is the limited number of stations they are able to transmit, while DAB+ radios offer access to an almost infinite number of stations from around the globe.
The sound quality of FM radios is inferior to that of DAB+. DAB+ provides better sonic quality and, accordingly, a clearer and more precise sonic experience.
In short: Compared to DAB+ radios, FM radios have inferior signal quality and a limited number of stations while also lagging behind in terms of quality of sound.
Web radio: Unlimited reception via Wi-Fi radio?
As Wi-Fi radios or web radios are received via internet radio with a direct access to the internet, the number of possible reception options is more or less limitless.
The term “internet radio” is often used colloquially, owing to the fact that the devices often look like classic radios, table radios or radio alarms. However, they are, in actual fact, compact computers that connect to the websites of streaming providers (stations) via an integrated browser to play their content.
Compared to FM technology, which is prone to disturbances and only offers a limited range, Wi-Fi allows you to access radio programmes and streams from all over the world via radio.
What can be received via internet radio?Internet radios allow users to receive different types of radio programmes from all over the world, given they are available online. Here are some examples:
- Music: A wide range of musical genres like pop, rock, jazz, classical music, etc.
- News: Current news and information from around the world.
- Sports: Live coverage of sports events as well as sports news and results.
- Entertainment: Talkshows, comedy programmes, games and quiz shows.
- Public service and private stations: Access to a wide range of public service and private stations.
- The more efficient use of available frequencies is another important feature of DAB+. The utilisation of data compression technologies allows for the transmission of several radio stations via a single frequency.
When does internet radio make sense?
It makes sense to acquire an internet radio if a Wi-Fi connection is available and the existing radio needs to be replaced. Internet radios also make sense for users who want to access a wide range of radio stations that are not available locally. It allows them to access programmes from different countries and regions. The internet also allows access to a multitude of podcasts and on-demand content, which is another benefit.
Changing to internet radio also makes sense for users who want to upgrade to better sound quality without any static noise and have more choice in terms of musical genres and niche products.
Furthermore, internet radio is a good idea for people who travel a lot or cherish flexibility as it is independent from local or regional reception and can be used wherever there is an internet connection.
If receiving the preferred station via FM radio is difficult, and it is available online, an internet radio is a good choice.
Which types of devices are there?
There are different types of devices for internet radio, all of which differ in terms of size, equipment and features. Some examples are:
- Compact internet radios: These devices are small and space-saving, and they are ideal for the kitchen or bedroom. They are also referred to as table radios, kitchen radios or radio alarms.
They are usually only equipped with basic functions like the option to receive radio stations from around the world; however, they cannot stream music from a smartphone or tablet.
- Wi-Fi internet radios: These devices connect to the internet via Wi-Fi and allow access to a wide range of radio stations and podcasts. They usually have a larger display and offer more features than compact internet radios, such as the option to stream music from a smartphone or tablet.
- Smart internet radios: These devices are connected to the internet and offer additional features like the option to access streaming services, to control smart home devices or access devices via voice control.
- Internet radios with CD player: These devices combine the features of an internet radio with those of a CD player. In addition to facilitating access to radio stations from all over the world, they are also able to play CDs.
- Internet radios with Bluetooth: These devices are able to receive and play music from Bluetooth-enabled gadgets like smartphones or tablets.
Internet radio by Pure
Pure offers a wide range of internet radios, from the compact Elan Connect in simple black to the efficient Evoke Home in stylish cotton white. Many models are equipped with Bluetooth technology and a high-definition colour display.
State-of-the-art DAB+ technology, premium components, a clear design language and ease of use, paired with the best available sound quality, are a given with any Pure products.
The benefits of internet radios at a glance:
- Sound quality: You can expect a clearer and fuller sonic image than with FM. The quality increases along with the transmission frequency (k/Bit).
- Ease of use: Internet radios excel in terms of ease of use.
- Stable reception: Bluetooth radios with DAB+ technology offer stable quality, even if reception is weak, while FM radios often come with static noise.
- Additional features: In addition to sound, Bluetooth radios with DAB+ technology can transmit images, information regarding the station, title or artist, and even videos, if the station allows for it.
- Unlimited number of stations: Reception of up to 30,000 stations and streaming providers from all over the world via DAB+ technology.
More about Internet radio
Check out our blog post - Internet radio – free online radio?